Thursday 21 March 2013

a grill light & my first iguana

Happy March! All is well in Juticapla, Honduras.  It's summer here (March, April, & May) and the nice cool days are no longer with us.  The cold showers feel great this time of year and I'm missing that sound I use to hear outside my living room window in TN....the AC unit clicking on.

A lot of Birthday's in March, a lot to celebrate!  My birthday, both my grandmothers, my mothers, and Carina's family has several March b-days as well, including her mother and father.  As I have mentioned, Birthdays are a huge celebration in Honduras. This was my first time getting the opportunity to "sample" my cake.  It's a tradition here that the birthday boy or girl taste the icing (hands behind your back).  If you aren't quick enough a loved one usually smashes your face into your cake.  Thanks Carina!  Carina's family is not shy about this tradition and it usually turns into an icing war for about 10 minutes.  Enjoy the pic!


Our friend Toni had a Birthday recently as well.   It is common to prepare re-fried beans, tortillas, chismol, and grill carne asada for celebrations, that's what we did for Toni's Birthday.  Toni was busy dancing to Tina Turner and Elvis (he loves those 2).....Carina had to take over the grill.




I received a great birthday gift from Danny (my roommate). 6 pack of beer packaged with a poncho.  I would have loved to been a part of the think tank that came up with that marketing idea.  I can think of a few times over the years where it would have been handy to have both.





While were discussing creative combinations, apparently they don't sell lights for grills here in Juticalpa.  My neighbour certainly wasn't going to be forced into using a flash light, so he did the next most logical thing.



As for Carina's mothers birthday, Carina's aunts made pizzas in the wood burning stove they have on their patio.  Made for some great pizza.  Carina has a huge family so they baked about 6 of these large pizza's.  If you can't tell by the photo these cooking sheets are about 3X the size of a standard cooking sheet.
It was a lot of pizza! Before the dancing and celebrating began, we all stood in a large circle and prayed for her mother for about 10 minutes. Several of her aunts prayed and Carina did as well.  The prayers were centered around thanking God for their many blessings as well as a prosperous future for Carina's mom. Neat tradition!





I ate iguana for the first time yesterday.  Carina's father bought this iguana from one of his friends and her mother cooked it yesterday, made for a nice meal last night.  I enjoyed it and if you get the opportunity definitely try it, but don't get too excited....yep, it tastes like chicken.  There is a huge iguana that lives on my roof, I can hear it scrambling around in the early mornings, our roof is tile, so it creates a lot of noise.  I thought I just had to put up with that annoying creature, but now I'm thinking I have other options.




I'm still reminded of how tall I am.  I have been tutoring a 4th grader (Fernando) every Wednesday in his home after school and I captured this pic for you.  As soon as I walk into their house, his sister (Andrea) goes to her bed, hides her face in her pillow, and cries.  I understood the first few times, but it's been  7 months now, so I had to ask Fernando last week why she was so scared of me.  He explained...."Michael because you're too big".  Fernando's grades have improved, I hope I'm not ruining Andrea's perception of North Americans.



We have discovered a new restaurant "Papa Dino's".  It's an Italian restaurant here in Juticalpa owned by a guy who lived in Boston for 20 years, or maybe he said 12, not sure, but he was there long enough to figure out how to make great pizza.  Carina and I went for Valentine's Day.



If you read my first post you remember my description of the gym I go to.  I had the chance to snap some pics.  Here you go.  Now that I'm use to it, it doesn't seem that bad, maybe I was just spoiled with the nicer gym's in the states.  The price is right, it's clean, it works.  Notice the little bathroom/toilet area.  This is common for businesses, small closet for a toilet and then a water storage area to wash your hands.




I'm returning to TN for Holy Week.   I will get to be with my mother on her Birthday as well, that will be nice!   Carina and I will be spending this weekend in Tegucigalpa (the Capital) it's about 3 hours from where I live.  It's a nice opportunity to get to a large city, eat, shop, and spend time at the hotel pool.  I will fly to Nashville on Monday.  Also looking forward to the end of lent, I did not give up coffee but I have been limiting myself to one cup a day.  I have certainly learned to appreciate my first (and only) cup more.  I also have to think twice before selecting a mug...I'm not using the small ones.. and I cherish each sip.

.

One last comment, CHERISH each day, COUNT your blessings, and LET GO of any anger you have towards others.  A childhood friend of mine (Ben Newton) was killed this past week, shot while working.  SAD.  Ben was a good guy, has a good family, and had a big heart for others.  Ben and I did not remain close, more of a distant friend / acquaintance, I don't want to make this about me....this is just a reminder that we never know what tomorrow brings.  Remember to pray for those who suffer the loss of a loved one, and today please pray for Bill and Liz Newton (Ben's parents).  Thanks.







If you are interested in sponsoring a child please visit www.olanchoaid.org or e-mail me for details, mfreesmeier@olanchoaid.org. Scholarships range from $25 to $100 per month. 

5 comments:

  1. MIss you bro. Sounds like you are making the most of your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy the stories. Keep doing the good work. Things at Cardinal are ever changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me in your messages. Your father has told me of some of your adventures. It is great to hear first hand about your life and see the pictures. You are doing good works for God. We, here in Mattoon, are proud of you.
    Ann Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. New dearest nephew Michael! how could anything top that? I was happy to hear from you! Carina sounds like a beautiful, caring, loving,amazing woman who loves the Lord and her family & friends. Kind of like Uncle Dick. haha You can tell how happy & content you are by looking at your eyes and your face. You are so content, so happy. You are incorporating you life and beieves with hers, always keeping an open mind & heart. I think She & her family are winning you over. We were thinking of you on St. Patty's day, had a drink in your honor for your birthday! You are never far from or hearts & minds. We are fine here. Just got back from visiting Rich & Mindi in Kennesaw,GA in their beautiful new home,5 bedrooms, 5 baths, etc.not to mention spending our weekend with our munchkins-eight year old twins, Emma & William, We treasure or times together.They love natalie & alway glue themselves to her side. Nat is doing well juggling her passion for her jewelry design & interacting with retail & fashion week designers, and maintaining & growning her FedEx position.She is working very long,hard hours. Is a brand new position and tough all around.She's leasing a condo on the intracoastal water way, beautiful view. I know you will have a great time with your family, expecially your mom & her birthday, not to mention spending a glorious easter with you family too. Doesn't get better than that. Life is so short & we much grab & hang on to these very special times together. That is what sustains us and makes life worthwhile. We are so proud of you Michael! Hope to meet Carine soon.We love You, Aunt Arefa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to see that you are doing so well. I didn't get to see a lot of the gym from the pic but it seems like when your in there not a lot of weights left for others to use. We miss you here and I know the people at RITI miss you. GOD is with you so keep up the good work. Have a great weekend and a safe trip. Maybe run into you at the Y. GOD bless.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete